Salal Foundation is a BC-based charitable foundation focused on environmental protection. Canopy is a non-profit organization which mobilizes the purchasing influence of corporate customers to transform markets and policies to protect the world’s forests, species, and climate.
Working collaboratively with more than 700 corporate consumers in the book publishing, magazine, newspaper, and clothing sectors, Canopy helps companies develop and implement environmental policies that curtail unsustainable practices, catalyze innovative eco-solutions, and drive systemic change.
A grant from the Foundation will support Canopy’s Second Harvest project, which aims to relieve stress on Canadian forests while diversifying agricultural communities’ revenues, by developing understanding of and support for straw-based paper.
The Foundation’s grant will support three key activities:
- Work to identify towns and regions that are ideal candidates for straw-based paper production.
- The production of a prominent author’s book on straw-based paper to communicate the benefits of this green innovation to government and business leaders and identify new publisher and printer champions.
- Develop an open-source, template and blueprint showing how towns can attract and benefit from having straw mills locate in their region.
- Grant Type: Past Initiatives
- Initiatives: Social Innovation Fund