Founded in 2008, Youth Fusion establishes partnerships between high schools and universities to counter high school dropout rates in low income neighbourhoods. University students are hired during the school year to mentor high school students to design and carry out group projects that strengthen school life, while connecting to the curriculum. Results indicate that this promising approach is reducing absenteeism and creating a culture of civic engagement within participating schools.
- A music student offers after-school music lessons culmininating in a community show at the end of the year;
- An engineering student starts a robotics club that enables a group of students to participate in an international science fair;
- A management student supports students in creating a student-run café;
- A science student helps students found a “Green Team” that establishes a series of ecological initiatives in the community.
This grant will support Youth Fusion in refining and disseminating the program within Quebec and help it prepare for expansion to another province. The organization will be enabled to continue high quality programming and design a business model for continued growth.
Visit www.youthfusionquebec.org for more information
- Grant Type: Past Initiatives
- Initiatives: Youthscape