Founded in 2002, Journalists for Human Rights (JHR) has trained over 12,000 journalists in 21 countries (including Africa, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia) on how to report ethically and effectively on human rights issues. In 2013, JHR launched its first pilot project in Canada, the Northern Ontario Initiative. This pilot explored the potential to train young Indigenous journalists on reserve and to build the capacity of non-Indigenous journalists to report more comprehensively on Indigenous stories.
The Foundation’s grant will support JHR to:
- Develop scholarship and internship programs for Indigenous students to attend accredited journalism schools and gain work experience in mainstream media outlets.
- Incorporate content on how to report on Indigenous issues into journalism school curricula.
- Provide training on Indigenous reporting to mainstream journalists in urban centres.
Visit www.jhr.ca for more information
- Funding Type: Past Initiatives
- Initiatives: Social Innovation Fund