Since 1984, Environmental Defence Canada has been inspiring change by connecting people with environmental issues that affect their daily lives in their homes, workplaces, and neighbourhoods.
The organization, led by Dr. Rick Smith, is recognized internationally for its meticulous scientific research. Its integrated approach to social change involves helping consumers make informed choices, partnering with innovative corporations, and influencing government policy. Its work contributed to the following:
- Banning a hormone-disrupting chemical, bisphenol A (BPA) in plastic baby bottles, which set a global precedent.
- Protecting green space through the creation of the 1.8 million acre Ontario Greenbelt.
- Establishing an environmental standard for the aggregates industry.
A grant from the Foundation support’s EDC in continuing to raise public awareness about health risks of personal care products; encouraging manufacturers’ use of non-toxic alternatives; developing and promoting improved labelling standards; and advocating for the restriction or outright removal of certain chemicals.
- Just Beautiful Pocket Guide http://environmentaldefence.ca/reports/just-beautiful-personal-care-products-pocket-shopping-guide.
- Visit environmentaldefence.ca for more information
- $ 850,000
- Funding Type: Past Initiatives
- Initiatives: Net-Zero Carbon Economy