Established in 1980, the company presents major opera productions in Montreal and ranks among the top 15 opera companies in North America. Since 1984, it has also operated the Atelier Lyrique de l’Opéra de Montréal, which nurtures young Canadian singers, many of whom have gone on to professional careers.
This grant is to support the company’s Education and Community Outreach Program, which has five components:
- Open Dress Rehearsals (for students) the company invites Montreal students to attend open dress rehearsals free of charge.
- The Opera Trunk (for students) circulates a set of teaching materials, including costumes, scores and props, to schools that plan to attend the open dress rehearsal or a specially priced school matinee.
- coOpéra (elementary students) involves senior elementary students from four schools who collaborate with opera staff to produce their own opera.
- Opera Under the Stars (for youth and families) A live outdoor broadcast of an opera while it is being performed indoors.
- TechnOpéra (for young adults) In cooperation with the Society for Digital Arts and Culture, the company produces special evenings combining opera and the digital media.
- $ 350,000
- Funding Type: Past Initiatives
- Initiatives: Arts & Social Inclusion